So I finally got our license plates. We bought our new to us car a few months back and being especially patriotic..I was eager to do the American thing. (which is fill out meaningless paperwork for banks and government organizations). Also I was especially happy to spend time at the DMV. I'm actually friends with Carol at the DMV now. We are on a first name basis after all my crazy issues..like paying for a registration renewal on a car we no longer own and getting 3 daughters through their permit applications and driving tests. When Carol passed one of my daughters on her driving test I actually asked her if she was sure that was wise. Carol and I laugh about that now. I'm sure it's extra funny to her..she isn't paying the car insurance. Buying a car out of state there is extra hoop jumping and VIN stuff and title transferring and paperwork and case file numbers. I tried explaining this to the two officers that pulled me over in the last month and a half. Happily I know all the police officers in town too and they will nod politely while I try to explain this to them..while asking them how their wives/ significant others are ( who I also know). And it's super nice that they believe me and just give me warnings and such before letting me off. But I'm now rambling ...
So anyway..I was tired of being pulled over and Carol gave me a temporary registration thing a month ago. Yesterday, after talking to my friend Sandra at the bank..I tracked down the file number of our case and showed up to visit Carol again and $110 later I had my plates. What a victory! This was all incredibly annoying but happily mitigated by my personal relationships with the people in town that do these tedious jobs. Mitigated is a big word choice I know... I was tempted to go with nullified....but I didn't.
So my point is...I know and like all these people so it sometimes helps my patience and annoyance level. Also this morning I went to pay my dental bill and they asked me sweet things like how was work and was I tired...etc. The Safeway staff all know my kids when they come in to shop with my debit card and the gas station people really know me and tonight reminded me soda goes on sale tomorrow for 99€ a 32 oz. Yeah for me!
Small towns are filled with people who have been married 2 or 3 times and everyone still lives around each other. It can get interesting. I met a lady last week who said, "oh I know Joe, he was married to my daughter years ago"....I mean where does that happen....small towns.
Who knew I would be super glad to live in my little small town....a big city girl like me?
No comments:
Post a Comment