Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Nursing ADHD
When someone asks me what kind of a nurse I am.. It is a little hard to answer. I've gotten a little ADHD in my nursing. I guess that is a good thing. There isn't really any area I don't do. I'm kind of a dabbler in all---master of none kind of girl
I have my certification in ER nursing and that is my first love. Most of the time when I work nights I end up training someone in ER.
I do Med-Surg, ICU (if you can call it that in our small facility) and 12 hours a week I do surgery. Mainly that means I do PACU which is recovery room. Yes, I've seen all those super funny videos on you tube of people after their wisdom teeth come out. Guess what.. it's not that funny day after day when you basically are the nurse that is there when people wake up. I'd certainly never mock them or dishonor their experience. Waking up from surgery is scary and I try to be a comforting presence.
Lately I'm doing some additional training in OR. I'm doing an online class called PeriOp 101. I'm learning about the circulator role and training about skin preps, lasers, safety in the OR suite, electrosurgery. It's a pretty intense course and the modules take me about 1 hour a piece. There are 25 of them and then some killer non open book test.
I'm also doing chemotherapy. I dabble in this a little about twice a month. It's not the hard core chemo. It's infusions that are about 1- 2 hours in length that most people have had before.
I also get an opportunity to train some for this in October.
Additionally I get to do surgery clinic for a few hours a week. This is pretty hard for me because I'm not as organized as I wish I was. I'm still learning a lot as this is more difficult for me. I do a lot of teaching pre procedure with patients and also get them their pre op testing and follow up results.
So there you go. I do a little of everything. I wish I was a little better at it than I am. But my skill set is varied.
I'm lucky.
I picked this very boring yet informational post because it's been a really crazy, emotional week. I took a kid to college and Kris ended up in the operating room for a stuck piece of meat. And while I could write a super funny piece on all of that. I'm just too exhausted to go there and it's still a little tender.
So I offer instead.. My boring piece on my job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke
2 comments:
I can only hope to be an amazing nurse like you some day!
Post a Comment