Thursday, May 8, 2014

Prom dresses, Driving across the State and a funeral



This week was a bittersweet time of sorrow and joy. It started with a wonderful reunion of sorts with my parents and siblings. All of us were together from Saturday to Tuesday and we had a blast. My brother Jared kept us all thoroughly entertained with his antics and we had a photo shoot in my parents bathroom. (Big bathroom, lots of funny poses.. in clothing of course). We went out to dinner, visited our old neighborhood, shared a lot of laughs and memories. Tuesday was Grandpa's funeral. There are some pictures with this post. I look at them and see how tired and awful I look. I did cry off all of my makeup so there is that. The service was very nice and my dad and his brother and sisters gave really nice talks. I accompanied my Aunt and cousin in a violin duet that my other cousin arranged in 3 hours 2 days before the service!!! My mom played the organ and various other family members gave prayers. Grandpa was loved by many members in his ward. He had served as Ward Executive Secretary in his ward for many years and was only released at his passing. I am holding a beautiful flower arrangement that my in laws sent. Kris was a pall bearer. He shared some nice memories at the family viewing and I was very grateful because I didn't feel like I could make a coherent sentence. It was really good to see all of our extended family that we hardly ever see. As we get older and the family gets bigger it is harder to see each other. I really miss our big reunions.

Shelby had ridden the bus to our town and then rode with Kris and the other kids up to the service. After the funeral I drove her all around the state back to her college town. We were in the car another 7 hours. It was a little insane. I slept in her apartment and then got up and washed all her roommates dishes. Then I drove home.

Back at home I immediately had to go to training for our new computer system which is being implemented at our hospital. It is way over my head but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. Brooke was honored at National Junior Honor.

Stefani called from the airport where her flight had been cancelled. It seemed the whole Irish vacation was in peril.. but just a day later they where able to get a connection over to ocean to fulfill their dream. That details on that adventure will be forthcoming.


In teenage land, the drama has reached a fever pitch and basically Hailey's supposed friends were being ... well 17 year olds. It didn't make for a very nice few days. She spent the day before her birthday crying. I let her sleep in today and wrote her an excuse. I ran her flowers in between training and also lunch. She went out to dinner with friends and I made a cake with a new kind of super yummy frosting. I also started making an insert for her prom dress to make it more modest. Luckily I had only just begun to create it when she arrived home and stomped through the house. Two of her friends had dyed their hair the same color, she hated the dress insert, couldn't zip her dress and declared that she didn't want any cake and burst into tears. I found this rather humorous and decided to scratch it all and start to make straps. I'm a pro at straps. Plus I think she is my favorite 17 year old ever and we all get tired and grumpy after a long exhausting week.

This Sunday I am giving a talk for Mother's Day. I have no idea what I will say. None whatsoever. I hate Mother's Day, but I always feel sorry for my husband when he has to assign talks for that day. The pressure!

Maybe I'll say something about how it's okay to not be a perfect mom. I'm certainly not. And it's all good.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke