Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Secret Fantasy




I would like to tell you of my secret dream. It is that I have a housekeeper. I dream sometimes of the gleaming bathrooms, the dusted furniture and the sense of peace and calm that envelopes me as I enjoy a house that I didn't frantically clean that day. Maybe that's why I like novels written in the 18th century when they had a staff of people like butlers, and housekeepers and nannies. How romantic. I wish I had a butler named Geeves who I would have answer the phone and the door. He could make up vague excuses so I would never have to talk to anyone but my husband and my friends. He could deal with the feature films for families salespeople and the other calls. And my housekeeper would keep all the linens fresh and fill each room with fresh flowers. I would give the nanny the day off, maybe send her to help the cook..


Soo anyway .. I have mentioned this dream to Kris.. and then he always says, "we have 5 daughters. certainly we can have them do some of the deep cleaning."... and I always make a note to myself to try. Yesterday after our exchange student left, I brought the daughters home and we did some deep cleaning. We ironed dad's shirts (it happens once every 5 years) and purged his closet of some needed cast offs. (Did you know the man has 12 leather belts and 45 ties?) Hailey and Brooke cleaned the refrigerator (and broke a glass shelving unit whoops). I cleaned the oven. We washed bedding. We gathered more old things for the thrift store... I dusted... SEE PHOTO..........Where did I get all of the energy for this momentus undertaking. WHO KNOWS. Then I made 4 loaves of zucchini bread... (my feet were starting to swell so I knew I'd overdone it then) but... wow..A productive day. I think the mental component to that is I am excited for the start of school and the start of new things. The rituals involved with this time of year are fun... (except the $478 check I wrote to the high school to register kids and sign them up for pay to play fees etc). SEE BACKPACK PHOTO.
Right about now, I should be consulting the cook on what to have for this evening's meal.... and I lied... maybe I would like the nanny to take the kids to the park right about NOW.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke