Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Reading


I am a voracious reader. I hate to admit it almost ... but I read sometimes 4 books a week. Really. I began reading when I was 4 years old. They say that the neighbors would have me read the Bible aloud for entertainment. Because I was so small... I guess it was unique that I could actually read. I was always in seperate reading groups and I did a little TAG at my school. But an advantage of this was I was introduced to a program in the mid 70's at my school that taught kids to SPEED READ. and so that is really how I read. I suppose I should also say that I really don't watch TV. We don't have cable.. but my kids do watch DVD's... and my husband likes to rent DVD's and watch them with the kids... I , however, am usually upstairs reading. I belong to an unofficial book club. My good friend Tammy buys books all of the time. She keeps them in the end, but after she reads them once she gives them to me and then passes them along to 4 or 5 other ladies. Some of my favorite authors are Luanne Rice, David Baldacci, Clive Cussler... My mom and I also read the Children of the Promise series last year. I like Historical fiction, mystery, romance... I don't read many biographies .. but sometimes at the library I'll find one that I like. I really believe that reading keeps me SANE. I just finished a Luanne Rice book that had a powerful sentence in it. "Maybe she'd realize there really is a place for a mother in every kid's life, no matter how inadequate she might feel." I don't know why this phrase hit me hard. Maybe it's because I often feel inadequate. I feel that it is true that every kid needs their mother imperfect as she may be.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke