Saturday, January 7, 2012

Summing up the Week


It was quite a week. Monday was our last day with Stef at home. We had a family night together and Hailey gave the lesson on service. (And it completed a personal progress goal.. ROCK ON).

I made dinner too. It was the dinner featured in the picture 2 posts ago. It was Chicken Cordon Bleu made with lots of TLC. Lots of kids were at my house while I pulled it out of the oven and I invited them all to stay. But everyone made quick excuses and suddenly needed to leave. It puzzled me a bit... but then my reputation as a cook is legendary.... Those that ate it did enjoy it though. I guess I should work on presentation. Making my meals look as luscious as they taste...serving them on pretty dishes... etc etc

ANYWAY. Tuesday morning at 5am we left for Boise. Stef and I and all her packed stuff traveled over the hilly terrain to the airport. Suddenly we had to say good-bye. This isn't getting any easier folks. I hugged her and we both teared up. Something about the security checkpoint isn't exactly conducive to long goodbyes now adays. Pretty much your loved one hands over their ID and then is lost in the line of people taking off their shoes and belts and being wanded and x-rayed and assessed for terroristic threat. So that was that. Bleary eyed I started for home and after wandering through Walmart for an hour I drove the rest of the way home and arrived in time for a nap.

That was also the day that Amanda got left on the bus, through no fault of her own. A substitute bus driver didn't stop at our mailboxes, leaving Amanda to ride an extra hour before finally getting off. We were both in tears when she arrived.

Doesn't everyone have a bus story?

The rest of the week was largely uneventful. But yesterday Amanda played her first 2nd grade basketball game. She was so excited. She played the point guard and actually had a few steals and some top notch dribbling. They played some teams in the very very very small town of Riley.

Yesterday evening we drove to Bend to watch Shelby. She played really well and the team only lost to Vale (number one in state) by 3 points. Shelby scored 8 points including a couple of 3 pointers. We yelled pretty loudly at the refs, I'm embaressed to say. Mostly Kris was yelling. But I chimed in quite a bit too. They didn't help our cause at all, that's for sure.

On the way home it actually snowed. It was blizzardy for around 20 minutes. Even though it had me scared, I was grateful for the moisture. Remember last year when I complained about our super wet winter? Well, I kindof take it back. I think it is eerily dry this year. And also eerily warm.

Tonight the girls all went to a movie together and Kris and I are sitting here enjoying the quiet. Earlier, Hailey practiced her piano for an hour. It was a long hour. But we survived.

In other news... I'm wishing I still had my old copy of "The Rainbow Connection"... from the muppet movie. It was one of my first pieces of sheet music and a favorite. I remember being devastated that my Aunt Penny didn't want me to play it for her wedding reception. I mean.. who wouldn't want their 10 year old niece playing that piece of sentimental, inspiring music at their wedding? And, as I recall... in my fantasies I also was singing it at the same time.

"Someday we'll find it, the Rainbow Connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me!"

Kermit the Frog. One of the best parts of being a child of the 70's.

And that was our first week of the new year.





No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke