Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Great Gatsby



Our theater recently procured a new digital sound system and projector. The town banded together. It would have been a travesty to not be able to watch movies on a big screen. And the old film projector, practically a relic, would not support the film industry's new digital only movie releases.

The movie theater is old but comfortable. The seats don't recline and in the summer it gets pretty hot. In the winter sometimes you have to bring a blanket. But the owner is careful about raising prices and you can take your family on Tuesdays for cheap. Even the refreshments aren't bad, price wise. Sometimes if I get popcorn and Mike and Ike's I feel like I ate a popcorn ball!

Saturday a group of my friends and some older daughters went to see Gatsby. It was a glittering production set in the 1920's. The costumes were dreamy but the themes were ugly. I mean the whole thing is about mistresses and alcohol, wild parties and excess. It is classic American literature and I remember writing papers about it.. but all in all it wasn't my favorite movie.

After the movies everyone congregates in the lobby and visits. People trade their opinions on the movie or share a bit of news. Then it's time to head for home. It's small town stuff at it's finest.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke