Sunday, May 2, 2010

My testimony


Today I almost bore my testimony. It was fast and testimony meeting. That is a monthly (first Sunday) thing where the members all take turns bearing witness of truth. It usually involves repetition of similar themes but in the repetition the Spirit bears witness and all can be edified.

Sometimes I'll get a really heart pounding feeling if I feel really inspired to say something. Sometimes I'll just form in my head what I would say if I would go up there. I guess that was today. Today I would have gotten up there and said this.

"I'm really grateful to be here today and for my testimony of the Holy Ghost and how he reveals to us all truth. When I was young my dad gave a family home evening lesson where he put a bunch of candy in a jar. It was an object lesson. The candy represented information or knowledge that we aquire when we study. He likened it to being in a situation where you needed to remember and apply knowledge in a testing situation and prayed for help. If you had studied and put the information in your head (candy in your jar) .. you could take it out and access it by praying and having the Spirit help reveal the truth to you. If you hadn't studied or prepared, then the jar was empty and you couldn't access it. I remember many prayers that I prayed in the BYU testing center with faith in this principle. I just knew that if I had prepared, my prayers would be answered and the Holy Ghost would help me and clear my mind to access the knowledge in my brain. I so wish I could convey this to my children. My daughter is studying hard for a big test this next weekend. She has put in the time and the preparation. I have great faith that she will be able to access the knowledge within her through prayer and a priesthood blessing.. and I am incredibly proud of her.
I also have a profound knowledge that Heavenly Father knows and loves us on a personal level. 7 years ago this month I traveled to China with my best friend to pick up her adopted daughter. I know that the Lord knew she belonged with this family. I felt safe and secure while traveling. We were protected. This beautiful little girl is staying with us this week in our home... I know that she is an amazing little person who will do amazing things. I am incredibly honored to have witnessed the miracle of her life.
I know that the Lord loves me and that he died for me. I am grateful for our living prophet Thomas S. Monson and for the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I am grateful that Joseph Smith restored the gospel to the earth. I am so glad that I have my wonderful family to raise.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen

1 comment:

Jeni Everett said...

Christy,
I came to work and read your beautiful testimony. What a great day! Thank you SO much for sharing. Have a super day!

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke