This post is for my cousin Jeni. She was just accepted to nursing school. I'm so proud of her. I remember so clearly how scared I was my first few weeks of any new clinical rotation. I remember my first uniform ( a white dress)... I remember every new procedure (first shot, first IV).... it was a unique, exhilarating experience being a student of nursing.
The truth is..you never really stop being a student of nursing. The technology changes rapidly and we are always learning new things. However, I have felt more of an expert in the last few years as I have practiced in one area and gotten pretty comfortable. Rural nurses do a lot of everything and have a good general base.
This week I am getting some specialized training in chemotherapy and I'm feeling very much like a new nurse. I'm a lot outside my comfort zone. It has been humbling.
I'm grateful to have this experience to remind me of what it feels like to be a novice. I want to remember so I am a better preceptor and kinder to those who come to my workplace needing to learn.
I'm getting extra hotel time, cable tv time and shopping time in the evenings. It's been a nice alone time for my birthday. But I'm ready to go back home.
No comments:
Post a Comment