Saturday, April 21, 2012

Prom Stress

Wow. Suddenly I'm posting like a fool. Sorry about that. Tonight is the Mormon Prom in Bend. I mentioned that Shelby has a date.

Last year her dress wasn't the stuff of dreams and she was a good sport.. so this year we have tried to make up for it. Grandma Shirley gave her some money and she purchased a vintage strapless grey/blue dress from the 50's. It has a bit of an odor.. but hopefully some febreeze will set that to right. It is very pretty. I had to sew a few seams in the back for it to fit but nothing major.

Yesterday we went shopping like true princesses before the ball. We found an adorable purse that matches exactly and some jewelry. We bought material to make a bolero jacket out of some lacey/sheer slippery material. We even found some elegant shoes for FIVE DOLLARS. It was a magical day.

Then I sat down at the sewing machine. The slippery material was not cooperative. Around 10pm I had the jacket finished. Shelby tried it on and didn't like the sleeves. So I hacked them off and made them shorter. The pearls on the bottom of the lace busted my needle. The jacket was not hugging her back but kindof poofing out a bit.. so back to the machine I went.. adjusting and resewing.

Then we decided to pierce her ears.. (they were pierced at one time but have closed up)... I sterilized a needle and put on my glasses. Shelby began to scream bloody murder. I decided to take the earrings we bought and convert them to clip ons. So we got out the glue gun. (To glue the pierced earrings to the clip on posts.. not to torture her!).

All the friends are at a girlfriends house right now doing their hair. Shelby is playing basketball at the gym. I'm thinking that she doesn't care too much about how her hairdo will work out. Maybe this relaxed take on the day will translate into more fun this evening. I don't know. I'm feeling a little like PROM MCGYVER, myself.

I'm also adjusting a dress we have for her friend. Adding a little bias tape and some hooks and eyes.

Amanda made it through the national anthem singing yesterday. She started on a fairly high note which I was sure would doom the production. But somehow, she sang it perfectly into the microphone and felt very happy about her performance.

I'll post some after Prom pictures later so you can see Shelby's look... I need to get back to some last minute adjustments.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke