Saturday, April 28, 2012
Teaching kids to work ...
Parenting involves a lot of hard things. It is really the easiest part of parenting to do the fun stuff. We had a lot of fun stuff this weekend. Last night we went to the grade school carnival. I sold tickets and the kiddos went around playing games and winning stuff like books and hostess cupcakes (gross). I also let children spend the night at friends .. (more fun). Tonight we are going to see the movie Mirror, Mirror.
I think Kris is especially a fun parent. He really knows how to relax with the kids and enjoy a movie or a fishing trip. I am not the fun parent. I am the get your homework done, practice your piano, do your chores parent. I also do more disciplining. I'm not sure how I got the role of the non fun parent. I don't think it was a conscious decision. But I was raised by Grandpa Jim and I hear myself repeating lots of things that he used to say. And I'm not ashamed to say, that most of the time... he was right!
So today.. I could have done the housework to catch things up for the weekend. But.. I would be denying my kids the opportunity of learning to contribute. So I made a list of chores and cut them into strips and they drew them out of a hat. Some of them are not happy. So be it. Life isn't fair.
Someday they will be glad they know how to work. This is a valuable skill.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

1 comment:
I think most moms are the non fun parent :)
Post a Comment