Sunday, December 16, 2012

Humbled By My Own...

My mom used to say how her children were so much more mature in the gospel than her. Sometimes it would make me angry, because you just don't find anyone more committed than my parents. They are 110% in any calling and my Mother's simple testimony certainly was enough to inspire and motivate me. She didn't need to be any more than she was. But...I get what she meant now.

Because..my children are so much more spiritual than I am and I can't take any credit. I guess I'll attribute it to the type of children sent to the earth at this time. Maybe it's cliche...but I find it to be true. God saved his best for last.

Here are some things I want to remember that my kids did this week.

Amanda read a story in the Friend about a child visiting other sick kids in the hospital. She asked me if there was anyone in the hospital she could visit. She proceeded to make a gift for a hospital patient, consisting of some Christmas things and some snowflakes she cut out. Then she decorated the box and wrote messages on it. Then she delivered it. Today she sang in Sacrament meeting. Her clear, strong sweet voice sang, "Would I know my Savior?"

Shelby and Hailey went to Basketball practice the day of the shootings and their coach asked them to think of the person they would call if they had an hour left to live. Then he said, "Go do it." Hailey called her Grandma Alice. Shelby tried to call me to get her cousin Jonas's phone number. I love that they wanted to call relatives. And tonight Shelby, on her own, called her grandparents in Utah because she was worried about them.

Shelby has been hanging out with a girl with special needs at school. She helps her with homework and sat by her at the movie theater. I love that she does this on her own, without a reminder or suggestion from me or anyone.

Brookie has been worried about a new girl at school that doesn't have friends. She has gone out of her way to invite her to have lunch with her.

And Stefani is home now. She helped us give family night tonight. She found a great message that fit what we needed to hear. She did this on the computer in a just a few clicks.

I am glad that I have these girls to look up to. When I get sarcastic and cynical and stop feeling the Spirit... I only have to look to them and their example.





No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke