Saturday, December 8, 2012

My Nursery Buddies

I have the best calling in church. I am in nursery. So after the first hour, I get to hang out with about ten 2-3 year olds until church is over. Some people hate this calling. What is there to hate?

First of all... There is food. We have rigged a system for locking the food up so the teenagers don't pilfer it. So we have a nice supply of goldfish and animal crackers. I'm not ashamed to say that this is usually my Sunday lunch. Sometimes we throw in Tillamook cheese for protein. Except for our little girl that is allergic to cheese. I can get snack time to last around 20 minutes sometimes. Especially if I start to introduce a fruit snack or two at a time. Kids will do anything for fruit snacks. And I think they all have super healthy parents because most of them like raisins too.

The other thing that is super fun about nursery is the rocking chair. If I sit in the rocking chair that means I suddenly have a lap. Nursery kids like laps. This means story books. And who doesn't love reading story books with kids who can't tell if you skip words or make up your own endings? Usually my lap is filled up with about 3 kids and sometimes one of them will twist my hair while we read. I like this.

Nursery kids love to play pretend. Last week we had a bear cave. We covered the snack table with a blanket. They were the baby bears.

Gospel lessons in nursery last 5 minutes if you are really good. Sometimes a lesson is 2 minutes. Kids really want to say prayers in nursery. They are begging to be the one that is praying. And then they will bow their head and wait. Some of them mumble. I will help them pray or wait until the mumbling stops and say amen.

There are lots of toys in our nursery. Sometimes we have to share. This can be problematic.

It is also problematic when everyone needs to go potty...

But in general, it is all good and fun and happy.

Sadly, most of our nursery is graduating to Primary in 3 Sundays. Our group will go way down to 3 or 4 kids.

I find myself at a loss for what to do.. I may actually have to attend some Adult meetings. This isn't good. I've finally found my niche. Apparently, I'm really 3 years old at heart. I love the nursery. I have only good feelings about my fellow nursery workers and my nursery charges. And I haven't offended anyone lately.

2 comments:

Darwin and Candace Johnson said...

So wish you could have my kids in Nursery Again!! They LOVED you! Emery graduates though in January too, but Carter starts up in March if you feel inclined to visit or move to Lakeview :)

Unknown said...

And my Cora is so lucky to have you! I hope she can adjust to primary :) Thank you!

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke