Today was a big day. I made the last payment on our student loans.
I feel really good about this. We took our first student loan out approximately 19.5 years ago. I can't even tell you the full amount in interest and actual loans because it's a big number. Like our first house cost less.
When we graduated I had hoped we would knock this bad boy down in about 10 years. I really hoped we could. Having 5 children didn't help the timetable any...but we are grateful for the memories and fun times we paid for in leu of the throwing everything at the student loans. And hey, its always a balancing act prioritizing a family budget. I was aghast at having the loans for the full 30 years...so I guess almost 20 is a nice compromise.
What really inspired me to pay the last bit off maybe a little faster was reading a post from a woman in my ward who is significantly younger and who I admire greatly. She had just paid off their student loans and was so genuinely happy ...I felt like that could be us too! So a big shout out to Rebecca...
Getting out of debt is an important goal of mine. I find less and less satisfaction in purchasing things and more and more satisfaction in crossing debts of my list. (must be my list addiction) I'm also pretty committed to helping our kids as much as we can so they can avoid student loan debt.
One of the things that bothered me most when I first got married was people who didn't know me seemed to think I was an irresponsible spender, or unappreciative or someone not to be trusted. This was just the vibe I got...whether it was true or not. I felt misunderstood a lot about my intentions with money.
I don't have any devious intentions with money. I'd love to share my extra with anyone I love. I'm grateful for all my blessings and the ability we have to meet our needs. I'm always striving to be honest and forthright in my dealings. And I was taught to work hard. I'm grateful everyday my parents encouraged me to babysit and clean houses and work in the berry fields, cannery, and in the hospital housekeeping. And then to get my degree.
I'm grateful that they give without expectation.
I'm grateful that I have been able to have regular employment. No I was not always mother of the year. I tried as best as possible to work part time or less while raising these kids. I sacrificed my health at times to work odd hours so I could meet their needs.
I'm stepping off my soapbox now..but
I'm not afraid to say I'm proud of myself and my husband for paying off this obligation.
It was a very big day.
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch out debt...I'm still coming at you!
2 comments:
Christy, I am so excited for Chris and you for paying off your student loans. I remember in McCall you talking about how you were still paying those off. And to anyone that thinks you are irresponsible they do not know my aunt. Thank you for being an example of a mother with a career even if it is part-time.
Aww thanks Rachel (:
Post a Comment