
Our Thanksgiving was fun. Shelby caught a ride home and we had Gma and Gpa for company. I was thrilled that I may have roasted my most fabulous turkey ever. The food prep was a little exhausting for a gal who does minimal cooking on a daily basis but having help in the kitchen from a pro (my mom) and my junior chefs made it bearable.
Grandpa brought his guns and Brooke really enjoyed target practice with him. Kris has been thinking of buying a firearm and so he also tried out the gun shooting. I didn't realize Kris was maybe in the market for a gun but a few weeks ago while vacuuming I happened upon a baseball bat under our bed. Apparently it is there in case a middle of the night intruder needs whacking. I'm happy that Kris has a plan for our defense.
We left Thanksgiving night for our road trip to watch college ball. Shelby played in a tournament. We enjoyed watching her play for the Chukars in her new uniform. She is an aggressive, determined girl. And she is strong! Who would've thought my little tiny brown eyed girl would be taking down the opposing teams guard with her spin dribble.
As Kris and I were driving home..we discussed how proud we are of our girls.
We tried to give our girls many things growing up. Messages about compassion and acceptance and being humble and nonjudgemental. But we are both pretty self effacing, humble, maybe a touch critical people and the one message we didn't give enough of was confidence. I wish I would have held my babies in my arms and whispered to them that they could do anything. I wish I would have told them often to reach for the stars, to dream big, to not be afraid and to hold their heads up high.
But it's not too late. I'm going to work on this message. And hope they listen.
No comments:
Post a Comment